Dictaphone.js is a digital dictaphone application for the web in general and FirefoxOS in particular. You can create any number of sound clips of any length (limited by the size of your local disk partition). You can play back sound clips, instantly seek to a given position of the clip and play or record several clips at the same time. It is based on the WebAudio and IndexedDB APIs.
- Important caveat: due to technical restrictions, the application does not allow saving / exporting the recorded sound to the SD card. The recordings are stored on the phone in IndexedDB but cannot be exported. More details on these restrictions can be found here.
The application comes in two packaging:
For FirefoxOS users only: a packaged (.zip) version, which requires installation. You can install it from here directly by clicking the button below, or install it from the Mozilla Marketplace
For all supported platforms: An hosted (internet) version, which requires no installation and runs directly from the web. This version can be installed later from an application menu for web runtimes which support it. Click the button below to start the application.
Dictaphone.js works best on FirefoxOS (version 1.2 or greater), but can also run on a regular Firefox (desktop or android version 25 or greater). It works also in Chrom(e)(ium) (version 31 or greater) and has not yet been tested in Safari . It does not work on IE11+ as this browser does not support the WebAudio API yet.WARNING: FirefoxOS users, version 1.2 or greater is required
The following table list the FirefoxOS terminals for which the application has been tested.
Manufacturer Model FirefoxOS version Compatibility Geeksphone Revolution 1.3 ok Geeksphone Keon 1.3 no (1) Alcatel Onetouch Fire 1.4 ok Geeksphone Peak 1.2 ok ZTE Open-C 1.3 ok
- The problem on Keon is tracked by bugzilla 994260
The application is available under a GPLv3 license. The source code is hosted on github in this repository: http://github.com/laaglu/dictaphone.js
Dictaphone.js is currently available in several languages, thanks to the great work and dedication of the Mozilla Tech Evangelism translators. You can join the team and contribute new translations or improve existing translations for this app and many others using the Transifex system, at this URL: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/dictaphone/.
Here is the list of available translations and the name of the translators:
Language Translated by Simplified Chinese Rachel Zhang, Shen Hao, Liu Xing 正體中文 陳品光 (petercpg) Deutsch Gerard Tyedmers Español Lukas Laag French Lukas Laag English Lukas Laag Bengali (Bangladesh) Atique Ahmed Ziad Bengali (India) Ayan Choudhury Catalan dmanye Dutch Tonnes Greek Wasilis Mandratzis-Walz Hindi (India) Dipak kumar Malayalam abinabraham Portuguese (Brazil) Marco Aurélio Tamil (India) Khaleel Jageer Latvian Jānis-Marks Gailis
The application requires the audio-capture permission to access the microphone. In most browsers, the browser displays a dialog to ask for permission to use the microphone when the user record their first sound clip in the session (the permission is reused for subsequent recordings in the same session). If you use the application just to play existing sound clips, permission to use the microphone is not needed nor asked. The hosted version will ask for the right to use the application cache. Both version use IndexedDB storage and will ask for permission to grow the database beyond a certain size if required when recording a sound clip.
All recorded data is stored locally on the device (the clip names, sound samples, creation date, replay dates). No data is uploaded to any server.
For user-oriented support and suggestions, you can send mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Code enhancement, bug reports and pull requests can be made on github.
Here is a list of the releases of the project and what has changed in them:
- 1.0.10 (Jun 4, 2015)
- Fix for webl10n initialization problem
- 1.0.9 (Jun 1, 2015)
- Added many translations: Bengali (Bangladesh), Bengali (India), Catalan, Dutch, Greek, Hindi (India), Malayalam, Portuguese (Brazil), Tamil (India) and Latvian
- 1.0.8 (May 14, 2014)
- Restructured the menus to create an About and a Settings screen. The 'Release microphone between recordings' setting is now true by default.
- 1.0.7 (May 9, 2014)
- Added a traditional Chinese translation.
- 1.0.6 (April 22, 2014)
- Added a german translation.
- 1.0.5 (April 03, 2014)
- Added support for the simplified Chinese locale.
- 1.0.4 (March 15, 2014)
- Restructured the app i18n to allow translation using Transifex.
- 1.0.3 (Feb 25, 2014)
- Added capability to play clips in a loop. Added setting to deactivate the microphone between recordings. Fixed volume control slider bug #3
- 1.0.2 (Feb 5, 2014)
- Changed play screen to display only vital info if screen size is smaller than 480px
- 1.0.1 (Jan 20, 2014)
- Added feature detection based on Modernizr to make init more robust
- 1.0 (Jan 18, 2014)
- Initial release
The application has received the following certificate:
|Rating System||Region||Rating Category||Descriptors|
|ESRB||All Americas except Brazil||—|